The YWCA opened the Illinois Empowerment Services in 2018 as a place to support the community. The YWCA’s Empowerment Services is focused on creating long term self-sufficiency. This is achieved by financial literacy support, problem solving and communication skills, and education. It was soon apparent that programming should be expanded to Iowa, and in Fall of 2019, the Iowa Empowerment Center opened. Both Centers are available to any individual needing assistance with immediate crisis needs. It is our goal to provide each client with the tools they need to succeed in life and work to long term self-sufficiency.
Did you know that 33% of Quad Cities residents struggle to pay for their basic needs?
The Centers focus on keeping families from going into a crisis situation; if a situation arises, the YWCA’s Empowerment Services staff will create a plan to bring that family or individual out of the situation. The Centers are designed to keep families and individuals out of poverty for good. With computers and printers, a vast resource library, and staff on hand to help support all clients, the YWCA’s Empowerment Services strive to help those in the Quad Cities who struggle to make ends meet.
All Quad Cities individuals and families are welcome to use the resources in our Empowerment Services – from the computers, to the donated food and clothing, to our on site laundry at the Illinois Center. We truly believe that if we work together to end poverty, we all achieve more.
EMPOWERMENT SERVICES GOALS
On-Site Resources include:
- Employment assistance through career exploration, resumer writing, mock interviewing, free career attire
- Computers and printers for resume building, refining, and printing
- Access to job applications – both online and printed
- Immediate transportation support
- Access to food/clothing/personal hygiene products
- Safer housing/immediate shelter referrals
- Assistance with city, state, and federal government programs
- Mental health care and referrals
- Pregnancy and birth control resources
- Continued follow up with clients
Partner Organizations Include:
- United Way of the Quad Cities Area
- Family Resources
- Upper Iowa University
- Safer Foundation
- Hamilton Technical College
Located in the YWCA Annex Building
1600 2nd Ave
Rock Island, IL 61201
Please call for an appointment – 309.788.3470
1225 E River Drive, Suite 110
Davenport, IA 52803
Available by appointment outside of those hours – please call 563.340.0310